Table of Contents
Starting in February of 2022, we’ve included pet parent survey questions in our monthly email newsletter to gain insight into pet parenting habits and trends. Each survey received an average of 3,500 responses. Here’s what the year of pet parenting looked like in 2022.
February: Do you buy birthday/holiday gifts for your pet?
- Yes (82%)
- Sometimes (12%)
- No (6%)
March: How often do you bathe/groom your pet?
- Monthly (56%)
- A few times a year or less (29%)
- Weekly (14%)
- Almost daily (1%)
April: Is your pet allowed on the furniture?
- Yes, wherever and whenever they please (63%)
- Yes, but only certain areas (ex: only the couch) (21%)
- Yes, but only when given permission (8%)
- No (8%)
May: Have you ever used a televet?
- No (82%)
- Not yet, but planning to or considering (11%)
- Yes (7%)
June: Does your pet have their own social media account?
- No (59%)
- Yes (41%)
July: If you talk to your pet, do you:
- Speak to them as if they are human (80%)
- Speak to them in baby talk/complete gibberish (15%)
- Speak in grammatically incorrect ways (4%)
- I don’t talk to my pet except for commands/praise (1%)
August: When you go on vacation, where does your pet stay?
- Come with you (40%)
- Stay home with a sitter (39%)
- Boarding/care away from home (21%)
September: How did your pet join your family?
- Rescue/shelter (57%)
- Breeder (30%)
- From a friend/family member (7%)
- Other (4%)
- Pet store (2%)
October: How does your pet react to thunderstorms?
- They are indifferent/don’t mind (43%)
- They become terrified (32%)
- They are slightly concerned (25%)
November: Why did you sign up for pet insurance?
- Some or all of the above (63%)
- To help protect my budget from unexpected vet bills (19%)
- I don’t ever want to decline care because of finances (14%)
- I previously had a pet with an injury or illness and I was surprised at how expensive vet care was (4%)
December: How would you describe your pet’s eating habits?
- Eats literally anything (37%)
- Picky eater (31%)
- Healthy appetite (24%)
- Has a favorite food, but will still try new treats (8%)